Monday, October 12, 2009

First Steps...Minnesota Style

First things first, right? Any decent preparation for an adventure brings you to the most unlikely of places. So it is that, two weeks from stepping aboard an ocean-bound sailboat, I am just about as far away from the sea as one can possibly be in North America.

But not crazily unlikely. This is where I'm from - good old Circle Pines - and this is where my family is. I'm here to spend some quality time with them before I leave. And to take advantage of their hospitality - thanks, Ma, for letting me store all my crap in your basement!

And check this out - I get to hang out with my nephew Calder and brand new, not-yet-two-weeks-old niece Delilah...


Cal's favorite things are tractors and goats; Lilah, though you might not be able to see her superfingers, is probably going to be either an incredible basketball player or a piano virtuoso - we'll let her decide.

It's great to be home - to see old friends and to have some free time to take care of some logistical housekeeping and to start delving into the literature about what Emily and I are going to be experiencing in the next few months - Steinbeck's Log from the Sea of Cortez and the Lonely Planet's vision of Panama for now.

So I'll take advantage of this responsibilitylessness for another week before I fly into Los Angeles and meet all the movie stars of Emily's hometown - and then the hard work of sailing to the Caribbean begins. It's going to be rough.

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while Ben! I'm excited to hear about all your adventures! Safe Travels,

    Paul K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Calder looks a lot like you!

    ReplyDelete